Stuffed Pizza Pockets
You will need:
- Cutting board
- Medium mixing bowl
- Table fork
- Medium sharp knife
- Rolling pin
- Large baking sheet
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Pastry brush
- Oven mitts
- Paper towel
- Cooking spray
- Cooling rack
A larger version of this Italian recipe is often called a calzone. Vary the fillings to your family's liking and you will win raves at the table.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time:15 minutes
||medium fresh white Mushrooms (about 3 oz/90g pre-sliced)
|| diced green pepper
||pre-cooked bacon pieces or pepperoni
||pizza or spaghetti sauce
||pre-shredded mozzarella or Italian cheese blend
||pkg (10 oz/283 g) refrigerated pizza dough
||grated Parmesan cheese
How To Make it:
- Clean mushrooms with a damp paper towel or mushroom brush. On the cutting board with the sharp knife trim bottom of stems; coarsely chop the mushrooms to fill 1¼ cups (300 mL).
- Place the mushrooms, diced green pepper, bacon, pizza sauce and cheese in the bowl; stir to mix well. Preheat oven to 425ºF (220ºC).
- On a lightly floured counter or cutting board unroll the pizza dough
according to package directions. Roll or press out to 12”(30 cm) x10” (25 cm) rectangle. With sharp knife cut into 4 equal pieces.
- Using a pastry brush moisten edges of each piece of dough with water. Mound ¼ of mixture onto half of each piece of dough leaving a ½”(1 cm) border. Pull and stretch the other half of dough over the filling and press edges firmly together.
- Lightly spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray and place pizza pockets about 2”(5 cm) apart on it. With the tines of a fork press edges firmly again to seal and prick a few holes in the top to allow steam to escape.
- Brush top of pockets with milk and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Place baking sheet in middle of oven and bake for 13 –15 min until lightly browned and crisp on top.
- Using oven mitts remove baking sheet from oven and place on cooling rack for 5 minutes.
- With sharp knife cut in half diagonally to serve if desired.
Makes 4 pizza pockets
Variations: Substitute broccoli for green pepper and ham for bacon.