Yummy Macaroni, Cheese and Mushrooms
You will need:
- Large saucepan
- Oven mitts
- Measuring cups
- Large wooden spoon
- Slotted spoon
- Large Saucepan
- Large microwaveable bowl or casserole
- Dinner plate
Ask an adult to help you cook the macaroni for this easy and fast microwave version. Stir in sliced wieners, diced cooked ham, pepperoni or bacon if desired.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
|2 1/2 cups
||plain or multi-coloured macaroni
|| pre-sliced fresh Mushrooms
||garlic, onion or plain salt
||processed cheddar cheese slices (8 - 12 slices)
||ketchup, salsa or cherry tomato halves (optional)
How To Make it:
- In large saucepan, cook macaroni according to package directions until it is desired doneness (to test remove one piece from the saucepan with a slotted spoon and bite into it – the centre should be soft and not chewy). Place a colander in the sink and using oven mitts carefully pour water and cooked macaroni into colander to drain off water.
- Meanwhile tear cheese slices into large bite size pieces; set aside on a plate. If mushrooms are quite large break in half and set aside.
- In 2 qt (2L) microwavable bowl or casserole combine mushrooms, peas, salt and pepper; cover with lid or wax paper and cook on High power 4-6 minutes; with oven mitts carefully remove cover.
- Stir cooked macaroni, cheese pieces, and milk into mushroom mixture. Cover with same lid or wax paper and microwave on Medium- high power for 5 minutes or until hot and cheese is melting. Using oven mitts remove lid and stir to blend with large spoon.
- Serve with ketchup, salsa or tomatoes.
Makes 4 servings
Tip: If any macaroni seems dry after standing stir in a couple of spoonfuls of milk.
Variations: Stir in sliced wieners, pepperoni, diced ham, crumbled pre-cooked bacon with the cooked macaroni if you wish. Microwave until all is hot.